Commercial Building // Non-Resdiential
Located between the CSX railroad tracks and the historic Mordecai neighborhood, Pilot Mill sits and reminds all residents of the history here in Raleigh, NC. Built in three stages, each building is named after the year it was built. Respectively, onlookers will see the 1892 building, the 1903 building, and the 1910 building. The site was originally purchased in 1894 by James and William Williamson and the first mill building was built the same year. The original 1892 building was built with bricks made by the prisoners at the North Carolina State Prison. The 1894 building, which Restoration Systems is currently located, housed the mills spinning and weaving functions. The Williamson family owned and operated the mill until about mid 1918 when they eventually sold it to the Consolidated Textile Company. The company did not hold the property long before they sold it to the Belk-Hudson Company in 1931. A little over 30 years later, the Crompton Company bought the mill and operated the mill to its full capacity until they closed the doors in the late 1970s. The mill was then used as a warehouse until the property went up for redevelopment in 1988. During redevelopment, the roof was removed from the 1894 building, sequentially the building was left exposed for nearly ten years due to a foreclosure. The current owners, Hedgehog Holdings have since restored the buildings and are currently being used as office spaces.
Pilot Mill Village
1121 Haynes St,
Raleigh, NC 27604